Come-Home-to-Mama Chocolate Cake Recipe
You'll spend less than a half hour whipping up this cure-all cake that starts with a mix. Sour cream and chocolate pudding make it rich and moist, and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate make it decadent comfort food at its finest.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 38-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add melted chocolate; beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/2 cups frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 754 calories, 49 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC