You'll spend less than a half hour whipping up this cure-all cake that starts with a mix. Sour cream and chocolate pudding make it rich and moist, and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate make it decadent comfort food at its finest. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 38-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add melted chocolate; beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/2 cups frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Come-Home-to-Mama Chocolate Cake in Easy Comfort Food Recipe Cards 2011, p79
Reviews for Come-Home-to-Mama Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review