Colorful Zucchini Spears
A bit of bacon lends hearty flavor to this colorful side dish, while low-fat cheese helps keep the calories in check. Jan Caldwell sent the recipe from her kitchen in Shingle Springs, California.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked
- but not crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels
- to drain. Cut zucchini in half widthwise; cut halves lengthwise into
- quarters. Place in an ungreased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- Combine the salt, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle half
- over the zucchini. Top with tomato, onion, remaining seasonings and
- bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with
- cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 85 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,