Colorful Zucchini Spears Recipe
A bit of bacon lends hearty flavor to this colorful side dish, while low-fat cheese helps keep the calories in check. Jan Caldwell sent the recipe from her kitchen in Shingle Springs, California.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Cut zucchini in half widthwise; cut halves lengthwise into quarters. Place in an ungreased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- Combine the salt, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle half over the zucchini. Top with tomato, onion, remaining seasonings and bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Zucchini Spears in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p21
Reviews for Colorful Zucchini Spears(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes For Two >