Colorful Zucchini Boats Recipe
In Hattiesburg, Mississippi, Shirley Glaab hollows out zucchini, then fills the shells with an herb-seasoned stuffing for a colorful side dish.
- 4 medium zucchini (about 7 inches each)
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared ranch salad dressing
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1. Cut a thin slice off bottom of zucchini so it sits flat. Cut a thin lengthwise slice from top of zucchini and discard. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Chop 1 cup pulp; set aside. Place zucchini shells in a ungreased 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine mushrooms, onion and reserved zucchini pulp. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes; drain. Heat 1-2 minutes longer; drain thoroughly. Stir in the corn, butter, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir in salad dressing and 1/4 cup cheese. Stuff into zucchini boats.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese; top with tomatoes. heat 1-2 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 177 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Colorful Zucchini Boats
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC