Colorful Tossed Salad
In Kansas City, Missouri, Lee Bremson gives fun crunch to a combination of fruit and mixed greens by sprinkling it with macadamia nuts. "The vinaigrette enhances the taste of the salad without adding lots of extra calories," she notes.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup thawed white grape juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 8 large fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first five
- ingredients; shake well. Refrigerate until serving. Set aside 2
- tablespoons of dressing.
- Place the greens in a salad bowl and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Top with strawberries, kiwi and onion; drizzle with reserved
- dressing. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 67 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.