Colorful Three-Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil. Add the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Add beans and spinach; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 169 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 meat.
Reviews for Colorful Three-Bean Soup
"The recipe calls for too much water, leaving the broth quite bland. I did add some thyme, since the broth seemed to be lacking something. Just so-so."