- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil. Add the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Add beans and spinach; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Three-Bean Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p31
Reviews for Colorful Three-Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2010
"The recipe calls for too much water, leaving the broth quite bland. I did add some thyme, since the broth seemed to be lacking something. Just so-so."