Colorful Rice Medley Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in butter for 1 minute. Add rice and red pepper; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- 2. Stir in the broth, wine, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Stir in peas; cover and simmer 3-5 minutes longer or until rice is tender and peas are heated through. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 155 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.