Colorful Pepper Frittata Recipe
- 4 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in mozzarella cheese and basil.
- 2. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 639 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.