Colorful Pepper Frittata Recipe
- 4 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first four ingredients. Stir in mozzarella cheese and basil.
- 2. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Pour in egg mixture; remove from heat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until eggs are completely set, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge: 188 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.