Colorful Lentil Salad Recipe
- 5 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place lentils in a large bowl; cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar, basil, oregano, garlic, pepper and remaining water; shake well.
- 3. Add the cucumber, carrot, red pepper, onion and cilantro to lentils; toss to combine. Add dressing; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 188 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.