Our taste testers loved the refreshing colors and taste of this versatile salad from Martha Pollock. “I like it because it's different and healthy,” she says from Oregonia, Ohio.
Recommended: 20 Quinoa Recipes
- 5 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place lentils in a large bowl; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar, basil, oregano, garlic, pepper and remaining water; shake well.
- Add the cucumber, carrot, red pepper, onion and cilantro to lentils; toss to combine. Add dressing; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Lentil Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p13
Reviews for Colorful Lentil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review