Our taste testers loved the refreshing colors and taste of this versatile salad from Martha Pollock. “I like it because it's different and healthy,” she says from Oregonia, Ohio.
Featured In: 20 Quinoa Recipes
- 5 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place lentils in a large bowl; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar, basil, oregano, garlic, pepper and remaining water; shake well.
- Add the cucumber, carrot, red pepper, onion and cilantro to lentils; toss to combine. Add dressing; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Lentil Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p13
Reviews for Colorful Lentil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review