- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, combine the soup, water and butter; bring to a boil. Add kielbasa and rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Stir in peas and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and peas are heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Colorful Kielbasa
"Very easy and very good."
"Excellent flavor, Loved it!!"
"I have made this dish for years and we all love it. Sometimes I do add extra water and garlic powder."
"This is my first time making this it was amazing. I used 10 minute rice and that worked really well. If you want more spice add your own you dont have to follow exactly what it says"
"I've been making this since the recipe first appeared. Just made it again tonight and decided to see if I had ever reviewed it. Can't believe I hadn't. I've had the rice issue too. Thought it was just me. I'll probably just make it separately and add it in. Our packages of kielbasa here also contain only 13 oz. Oh well, it's a painless way to eat a little less meat."
"totally edible, but totally lacking in flavor. I just kept wishing there was more spice, maybe spicy tomatoes, something."
"I have made this many times over the years. It is truly a family favorite!! I will make it for many more :)"
"This recipe was a great way to use up vegetables in the fridge and put a new twist on kielbasa. For those cooks that had an issue with the rice not getting soft, here is what I did to solve it. Instead of the 1 1/2 cups of water, I used 1 3/4 cups of homemade low sodium chicken stock. In this modified version, I first sauteed about 1/3 cup onion, added a chopped jalapeno and a small clove of garlic. Then toasted the rice in the butter and vegetables until lightly golden. Then add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, lower to medium low and cook, covered for 10 minutes. That gave the rice a head start. Then add the cream of celery soup and kielbasa and cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes over medium low. Then proceed as the recipe instructs. I added a little fresh parsley and some chives at the end to brighten everything up. Will definitely put this in my recipe rotation. The low sodium chicken stock added a depth of flavor that I really enjoyed. Thanks for posting this."
"Very easy and fast to make which was a plus.The only changes I made were I used smoked sausage and instant brown rice.YUMMY!"
"I (and the rest of my family) think it's very tasty But we added fresh Bell peppers, onion, and used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and beef broth instead of water witch made it delicious but it's very easy and I think Kielbasa is the best meat for the "colorful kielbasa" recipe. -my son daden angel who loves cooking and helping out."