Colorful Ham Strata Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup each julienned green and sweet red pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (3/4 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions and pepper until tender. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, onion mixture, ham and cheese. Repeat layers.
- 2. Whisk together eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 393 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 203mg cholesterol, 1338mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Colorful Ham Strata
"I made this Christmas morning. Since we eat our holiday dinner on Christmas Eve, I used some leftover ham. I had it prepped before I went to bed. The next morning, I popped it in the oven while everyone opened gifts. The only change I made was topping the strata with a layer of frozen hash browns just before putting it in the oven. Everyone loved it, including the younger grandkids!"
"Very good. Made with my leftover Easter ham. Will make this again."
"I have made this recipe several times andreceive many compliments. I have also givenout the recipe. It is delicious!"