- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup each julienned green and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham (3/4 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions and peppers in oil. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the onion mixture, ham and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Colorful Ham Strata
"I made this Christmas morning. Since we eat our holiday dinner on Christmas Eve, I used some leftover ham. I had it prepped before I went to bed. The next morning, I popped it in the oven while everyone opened gifts. The only change I made was topping the strata with a layer of frozen hash browns just before putting it in the oven. Everyone loved it, including the younger grandkids!"
"Very good. Made with my leftover Easter ham. Will make this again."
"I have made this recipe several times andreceive many compliments. I have also givenout the recipe. It is delicious!"