Colorful Green Bean Medley
With its bright colors, this veggie side makes a pretty partner for all kinds of meat entrees.
Elke Rose - Waukesha, WI
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Place green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over
- 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute orange pepper and water
- chestnuts in butter until tender. Add the garlic, salt, onion
- powder, basil and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Add beans; toss to
- coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 80 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.