Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad Recipe
Because this salad is most flavorful when it refrigerates for a few hours, it's a nice make-ahead option for lunch. —Diana Tseperkas, North Haven, Connecticut
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Broil pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; chop pepper. In a large bowl, combine the pepper, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, lemon peel and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
2/3 cup equals 174 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC