Because this salad is most flavorful when it refrigerates for a few hours, it's a nice make-ahead option for lunch. —Diana Tseperkas, North Haven, Connecticut
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Broil pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; chop pepper. In a large bowl, combine the pepper, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, lemon peel and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad in Healthy Cooking August/September 2012, p60
Reviews for Colorful Garbanzo Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 2, 2015
"good but it was missing something."
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2015
"Nothing special. I was really looking forward to this one, but it failed to knock my socks off. Won't be making it again."
Reviewed Aug. 14, 2012
"EVEN MY KIDS LOVE THIS!!!!"