When my garden comes in, I harvest the veggies for potluck dishes. I live in the South, and we think bacon and corn bread make everything better, even salad! —Rebecca Clark, Warrior, Alabama
Featured In: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 4 to 6 cups torn romaine
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional tomato and crumbled bacon, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Coarsely crumble corn bread into a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing mix and adobo sauce.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl, layer a third of the corn bread and half of each of the following: romaine, tomatoes, pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining corn bread and, if desired, additional chopped tomato and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Colorful Corn Bread Salad in Family Reunions 2016, p59
Reviews for Colorful Corn Bread Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review