In Galax, Virginia, Ila Alderman relies on chili powder to spice up this hearty stew brimming with chicken and fresh-tasting veggies. Since it simmers in a slow cooker all day, it's wonderful to have it ready when you walk in the door.
Recommended: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cold water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Chicken Stew in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p45
Reviews for Colorful Chicken Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2012
"This is really bland... we didn't care much for it."