Colorful Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, corn, peas, salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Stir in chicken and macaroni.
- 2. Divide between two 11x7-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and cheese.
- 3. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 each: 295 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Colorful Chicken Casserole
"I really liked this recipe and have no idea why others complained that it had no flavor. I added a little extra salt and pepper due to other comments and I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them; other than those small changes I followed the recipe. It was delicious and a nice change from all the typical creamy casseroles."
"I used wacky pasta because that is what I had. Next time I will omit the broth and add a can of cream of something soup. Needed more seasoning also. Maybe some herbs."
"I wasn't impressed with this recipe. As others have said, it didn't have much flavor. With only the chicken stock added in the skillet, I wanted a more creamy sauce so I added some heavy cream. That helped but I wouldn't make this again."
"I must admit that when I mixed it together, I didn't think it was going to be a keeper. I didn't have frozen peas so I substituted a can of them instead. Other than that, I followed the recipe. My hubby & I both thought it was quite good... 4-5 star recipe."
"I have made this many times. We really enjoy this recipe because it does not require canned soups. It is like a very healthy chicken soup."
"This tasted like everything in the kitchen sink poorly thrown together. It needed creaminess to it, and more cheese."
"I really like this recipe. I didn't make it myself, but my mother made it for me and sent it to school with me for a quick meal when I didn't have time to cook for myself. In the future when I make this myself, I will probably add even more vegetables than what it calls for. Also, I found that it took longer than stated to heat the frozen casserole."
"It was easy to add more flavor. When sauteing the celery, bell pepper and onion, I just added 1/2 teaspoon of crumbled sage and 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and parsley. We also skipped the butter. Nice recipe."
"Hi! This was an ok recipe. I would change a few things tho. i would omit the green peppers. They seem to me to over power the recipe. I would also add a can of mushroom soup to it. just to give it a creamy texture."
"I found it to be very bland, had to pour a can of cream of chicken on top to make it better."
"I modified this recipe. I wanted more color so I use the colorful pasta. I also used a can of sodium reduced cream of mushroom soup. Also,instead of the frozen corn & frozen peas, I used the canned ones.Everyone in my family enjoyed it. I will be making it very often. Thank you for a good & easy recipe. Adel."
"I have made this many times and taken it to friends. It is light and does not have soups added. I liked that about the casserole. My family really liked it."
"No flavor what so ever was a big disappointment"
"I added a can of cream of chicken soup to this recipe because I felt it needed a little something more and it came out great."
"Great recipe for simplicity to make and low fat but doesn't yield a lot of flavor either. My preschoolers LOVED it but my husband and I thought it was just "okay"."