- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, corn, peas, salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Stir in chicken and macaroni.
- Divide between two 11x7-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Colorful Chicken Casserole
"I really liked this recipe and have no idea why others complained that it had no flavor. I added a little extra salt and pepper due to other comments and I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them; other than those small changes I followed the recipe. It was delicious and a nice change from all the typical creamy casseroles."
"I wasn't impressed with this recipe. As others have said, it didn't have much flavor. With only the chicken stock added in the skillet, I wanted a more creamy sauce so I added some heavy cream. That helped but I wouldn't make this again."
"I must admit that when I mixed it together, I didn't think it was going to be a keeper. I didn't have frozen peas so I substituted a can of them instead. Other than that, I followed the recipe. My hubby & I both thought it was quite good... 4-5 star recipe."
"This tasted like everything in the kitchen sink poorly thrown together. It needed creaminess to it, and more cheese."
"I really like this recipe. I didn't make it myself, but my mother made it for me and sent it to school with me for a quick meal when I didn't have time to cook for myself. In the future when I make this myself, I will probably add even more vegetables than what it calls for. Also, I found that it took longer than stated to heat the frozen casserole."
"It was easy to add more flavor. When sauteing the celery, bell pepper and onion, I just added 1/2 teaspoon of crumbled sage and 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and parsley. We also skipped the butter. Nice recipe."
"Hi! This was an ok recipe. I would change a few things tho. i would omit the green peppers. They seem to me to over power the recipe. I would also add a can of mushroom soup to it. just to give it a creamy texture."