In Marshfield, Missouri, Bernice Morris combines chicken and pasta with a variety of colorful vegetables to create this all-in-one entree. "It's a nice change of pace from the usual creamy casseroles," she comments. "I make one for dinner and keep the other in the freezer for unexpected company
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, corn, peas, salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Stir in chicken and spaghetti.
- Divide between two 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Originally published as Colorful Chicken Casserole in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p52
Reviews for Colorful Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review