- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up
- 13 cups water
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to the pan; add the squash, kale, carrots and onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin. Add chicken and salt to soup; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (5-1/4 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Colorful Chicken 'n' Squash Soup
Sort By :
"Instead of adding the kale with the other vegetables, I chop it coursely and put some in the bottom of each bowl and pour the hot soup over the top, The kale is just lightly cooked and the taste doesn't overpower the rest of the vegetables."
"This soup is delicious but the broth needed more flavour and I knew that from reading the reviews and recipe. I added chopped carrots, celery, onions and a bay leaf to the chicken and simmered it for about 2 hours. I then strained the broth to get all of the cooked vegetables and chicken out of it. I discarded the vegetables and removed the meat from the chicken to put aside for later and then discarded the bones and unusable chicken parts. Then I continued on with the recipe as it goes and added 1 tsp. thyme, 1 clove minced garlic and a bay leaf and cooked until the vegetables were tender. Then I added the chicken and spinach and let it cook for about 5 more minutes. It was delicious. I would have given a 5 star but the broth really lacked in flavour as listed on the recipe."
"Great but used modifications: Cooked chicken thighs with onion & garlic in pan keeping drippings. Used chicken stock to replace water, added bay leaf & 1 tsp of thyme. Placed in slow cooker on low over night then added spinach just before serving.This was great with the modifications."
"Was great. I brought leftovers to work and got rave reviews. Will make again."
"This was pretty good. The only changes I made was; I substitute onions with green onions, fresh garlic, 2 chicken breast, cut the cooking time for the chicken to 45 minutes, and added 2-3 Tbsp of soy sauce for tasting. The next time I'm going to make this with fresh spinach instead of kale. The kale was over-powering and it didn't match to the soup. If I made this with spinach, I would rate this 10 stars.And yes, I did de-bone the meat and shred it and I kept 2-3 bones in the soup for the flavor."