Colorful Chicken 'n' Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up
- 13 cups water
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Place chicken and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to the pan; add the squash, kale, carrots and onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin. Add chicken and salt to soup; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (5-1/4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Colorful Chicken 'n' Squash Soup(30)
Sort By :
Great but used modifications: Cooked chicken thighs with onion & garlic in pan keeping drippings. Used chicken stock to replace water, added bay leaf & 1 tsp of thyme. Placed in slow cooker on low over night then added spinach just before serving.
This was great with the modifications.
Was great. I brought leftovers to work and got rave reviews. Will make again.
This was pretty good. The only changes I made was; I substitute onions with green onions, fresh garlic, 2 chicken breast, cut the cooking time for the chicken to 45 minutes, and added 2-3 Tbsp of soy sauce for tasting. The next time I'm going to make this with fresh spinach instead of kale. The kale was over-powering and it didn't match to the soup. If I made this with spinach, I would rate this 10 stars.
And yes, I did de-bone the meat and shred it and I kept 2-3 bones in the soup for the flavor.
Good with cabbage instead of kale, too!
One of my most favorite soup recipes of all time. The spinach and butternut squash make this soup very colorful as well as flavorful.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Homemade Chicken Soup >
- Homemade Soup Stock >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >