When we have houseguests, we make broccoli and cheese strata the night before so we can relax and visit while it bubbles in the oven.—Gale Lalmond, Deering, NH
Featured In: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green onions; cook and stir until tender. Add broccoli, red pepper and garlic; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; season with pepper.
- Place English muffins in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut sides up. Top muffins with vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard and, if desired, hot sauce. Pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes longer or until egg mixture is set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Broccoli Cheddar Casserole in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p15
Reviews for Colorful Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review