Colorful Bean & Barley with Almonds Salad Recipe
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup slivered California almonds, roasted*
- 1/3 cup diced scallions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in barley.
- 2. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place kidney beans, bell pepper, zucchini, almonds and scallions in a large salad bowl.
- 3. Transfer cooked barley to colander and rinse with cold water (both to cool it down and to keep it from getting sticky).
- 4. Transfer cooled, drained barley to salad bowl. Add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss well. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 488 calories, 16g fat (1.800g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 18g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Colorful Bean & Barley with Almonds Salad
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.