- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup slivered California almonds, roasted*
- 1/3 cup diced scallions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in barley.
- Cover and reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place kidney beans, bell pepper, zucchini, almonds and scallions in a large salad bowl.
- Transfer cooked barley to colander and rinse with cold water (both to cool it down and to keep it from getting sticky).
- Transfer cooled, drained barley to salad bowl. Add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss well. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Bean & Barley with Almonds Salad in Taste of Home
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Colorful Bean & Barley with Almonds Salad(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bean Salad Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- July 4th Salad Recipes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Labor Day Salad Recipes >
- Main Dish Salad Recipes >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Salad Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Vegetarian Recipes >
- Salads >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >