Colorful Bacon & Egg Bake Recipe
- 1 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet orange pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In same skillet, saute sweet peppers in drippings until tender; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in bacon, bread and cheese.
- 2. In another large bowl, combine eggs, milk, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Pour over the bread mixture; gently stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 267 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 187 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.