- 1 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet orange pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In same skillet, saute sweet peppers in drippings until tender; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in bacon, bread and cheese.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, milk, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Pour over the bread mixture; gently stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Colorful Bacon & Egg Bake
Sort By :
"Very good! I chopped the peppers instead of julienned and next time will add a little salt & pepper, otherwise though, we all loved (toddler included!)"
"A recipe that I made last Christmas was real similar to this using sausage. There were 4 adults, one 5 yr. old, 1 girl teenager and 1 boy teenager. The boy and father ate 2 helpings. It left enough left over for my hubby and I to have it for breakfast one more day. So I would say the amount is just right. You could probably cut it in half and make it in a smaller pan if you don't want it as so large."
"Teenaged Boys count double, LOL. I do wish I had this recipe when my kids were growing up! There were 5 kids and 2 parents and usually a few kids who drifted in for breakfast when they met up with our kids. 12 servings sounds like "Just Right!" to me. Mary D."
"12 servings? How many kids are in a family?"
"This was very good!!!"