- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes and corn chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, oregano, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and fennel. Return lamb to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Garnish each serving with green onions, tomatoes and corn chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Colorado Lamb Chili(1)
Sort By :
I had cooked a lamb roast the previous night so I didn't use raw lamb as called out in the recipe. Rather I started with the second bullet point in the directions and added the already cooked lamb when indicated in the recipe. Instead of simmering as directed I probably only simmered it 30 minutes to warm the ingredients and mesh some flavors. It turned out very tasty. I liked the green onions and fresh tomatoes stirred in. We also stirred in some shredded cheese. Was very wholesome tasting and I'd make it again.
More Recipe Collections
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Chili Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Lamb >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >