Colony Mountain Chili Recipe
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and sausage in 1 tablespoon oil; drain. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion and green onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Colony Mountain Chili
Sort By :
"Just added this to my list of recipes, but had marked it in Oct/Nov 2004 Taste of Home Magazine as Very Good to Excellent. Guess I need to make again to refresh m memory."
"Best chili I have ever had in my life! Will make this again and again and again...."
"This is basically the same way I make chili, but I've never written it down. I find that the slow cooker melds the flavors much better than stove top! Good job!!"
"I've won 3 out of 3 annual chili cookoffs with variations on this recipe (I vary it each year). It's the best "base recipe" I've found. The sirloin really make it stand out from most entrants."
"Used leftovers to stuff tortillas for Red Chili Burritos. My family LOVED them. Excellent recipe!"