- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar or honey, salt, boiling water and oil. Let cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand 5 minutes. Stir into cornmeal mixture. Add whole wheat flour, rye flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic; about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Divide into two balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans and let cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Colonial Yeast Bread
Sort By :
"This was a very tasty loaf of bread but I was disappointed that you couldn't have identified it as having rye or corn in it. I'd expected it to have more of a unique taste."
"I haven't made it yet. By looking at the ingredients I know it would be delicious"