I never tried collard greens until a friend gave me this recipe that calls for bacon and pinto beans. Now I look forward to serving this southern staple on Thanksgiving. —April Burroughs, Vilonia, Arkansas
Featured In: 15 Southern Thanksgiving Recipes
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Remove and discard center ribs and stems from collard greens. Cut leaves into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon and drippings; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add collard greens; cook and stir until they begin to wilt. Stir in water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 55-65 minutes or until greens are tender, adding beans during the last 15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Collard Greens & Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p110
Reviews for Collard Greens & Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review