Coleslaw with Pineapple
This twist on traditional cabbage slaw gets a touch of sweetness from raisins and pineapple and a little zip from horseradish dressing. Terri Webber of Miami, Florida sent in the recipe for the crisp colorful salad.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining
- juice or save for another use). In a large bowl, combine the
- pineapple, cabbage, carrot and raisins. In a jar with a
- tight-fitting lid, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish,
- celery seed, salt and reserved pineapple juice; shake well. Pour
- over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2
- hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable.