Coleslaw with Mustard Dressing
"I ALWAYS marveled at how finely my aunt could chop cabbage, and I loved to watch as it filled her big blue salad bowl. But the best part was when she was ready to add peanuts to this dish. My sister and cousins and I would stand by and 'snitch' a few of those tasty nuts before they got into the salad!"
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Shredded cabbage
- Salted peanuts
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and cream; set aside. In a small saucepan,
- bring sugar, mustard, paprika, salt, vinegar, oil and water to a
- boil; stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; very slowly add to
- egg mixture, stirring constantly. Return all to saucepan. Cook and
- stir over low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
- Cool. Just before serving, pour dressing over cabbage and toss.
- Sprinkle with peanuts. Yield: 1-1/3 cups dressing.
If Cooking for Two: Toss some dressing over enough cabbage for two. Refrigerate remaining dressing; use within a week.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 67 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium,