Cold Sauerkraut Salad Recipe
We always shared our Fourth of July celebration with my aunt and uncle. Besides the hot dogs, hamburgers and Uncle Bob's steamed clams, my aunt always had something new for us to try—like this unusual salad. Like my aunt, you may have to coax others to try it at first...but you'll have a hard time keeping them from taking a second helping.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimiento, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill overnight. Drain before serving. Serve as a side dish or use as a relish on hot dogs or sandwiches. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC