Cold Plum Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) plums
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or grape juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup creme de cassis or cranberry-raspberry juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. Drain plums, reserving juice. Pit plums; puree in a blender with juice. Transfer to a Dutch oven. Stir in the water, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon stick, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar; stir in cream and wine or grape juice until smooth. Gradually add to plum mixture until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon stick. Stir in the sour cream, creme de cassis or cranberry-raspberry juice and lemon juice.
- 3. Strain half of the soup through a fine mesh strainer over a 1-1/2-qt. bowl. Repeat. Stir in lemon peel. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 13 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 143 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Cold Plum Soup
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.