Cold Day Chili Recipe
"I like to make chili from beans I've soaked overnight, but this speedier version tastes just as good on a frosty winter day," assure Lucile Proctor of Panguitch, Utah. At 90 cents a serving, the mildly sweet mixture of beef and beans is economical, too.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 331 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,028 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC