Cold Day Chili
"I like to make chili from beans I've soaked overnight, but this speedier version tastes just as good on a frosty winter day," assure Lucile Proctor of Panguitch, Utah. At 90 cents a serving, the mildly sweet mixture of beef and beans is economical, too.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring
- to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 331 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,028 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 29 g protein.