- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Colcannon Potatoes
"I'm from Idaho and thought I had done and seen every thing you could do with a potato. Then I found this in Taste of Home 2003. Unbelievably delicious! I was so impressed I make it every year for St.Patty's day. If you like potatoes and cabbage you are going to love this, it's a keeper!"
"I was looking for a recipe with cabbage in it and I saw this. I have to admit, I was afraid I wouldn't like them, but they were really tasty."
"I loved this recipe. Very tasty."
"I served this with corned beef instead of boiled cabbage and potatoes. It was delicious!"