Colcannon Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Colcannon Potatoes
Sort By :
"Just made these for supper tonight. Cut the recipe in half, since there's just the 3 of us. But it was SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD! I'm sure the leftovers won't be in the frig long! Thanks! Hoping to make these for a family dinner some time, but till then, the 1/2 recipe will be fine for us!"
"Very good Recipe! Make sure your cabbage is shredded fine and drained really good or the potatoes are a bit runny. After a day of sitting in the fridge and reheated, they were perfect."
"These were good. I served them on st paddy's day with leg of lamb and soda bread."
"I made these for a potluck and kept them warm in the crockpot. Bacon on top makes the dish!"
"This is a fantastic recipe"