Colcannon Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Colcannon Potatoes(23)
Sort By :
I tried this recipe for St Patty's day and the whole family enjoyed it! I followed it to the letter but when I make it again, I would add more seasonings.
Love love Love it!....and not just for St. Patty's Day! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
Great way to sneak cabbage into the diet - really tasty. I left out green onions (simply didn't have it on hand) and added some cream cheese - super tasty!
At first I was a bit hesitant, but gave it try and it was a great dish to accompany my corn beef. Thanks so much, the whole family enjoyed it.
This was SO good! We are going to add this to our favorite side dishes year round, not just for St. Patrick's Day. I omitted the bacon and substituted dried parsley for fresh. So yummy and a great way to get my kids to eat cabbage!