Colby Corn Chowder
"This comforting, cheesy soup is perfect for a cold winter's night-and it doesn't have to simmer for hours," jots Darlene Drane from Fayette, Missouri. "The creamed corn adds a nice touch of sweetness. My family enjoys it with dill pickle spears and crusty fresh-from-the-oven bread."
12-14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces Colby cheese, cubed
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle; sprinkle with
- salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in corn and bacon; heat through. Drain potatoes. Add milk; heat
- through. Stir in corn mixture and cheese. Serve immediately. Yield:
- 12-14 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 286 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.