"Our daughters, Tricia, 7, and Kristin, 10, love to serve this tender chicken with instant mashed potatoes and peas when they have friends over for dinner," writes Keri Scofield Lawson of Fullerton, California. A can of cola gives the savory barbecue sauce a flavor boost.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add chicken; brown on all sides. Carefully add cola, ketchup, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 170°. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cola Chicken in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p40
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Cola Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review