Cola BBQ Chicken Recipe
My dad has been making a basic version of this family favorite for years. I've recently made it my own by spicing it up a bit with hoisin sauce and red pepper flakes. Sometimes I let the chicken and sauce simmer in my slow cooker. —Brigette Schroeder, Yorkville, Illinois
- 1 cup cola
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Reserve 3/4 cup for serving.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with remaining sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve chicken with rice and reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cola BBQ Chicken in Simple & Delicious June/July 2014
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cola BBQ Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 19, 2014
Excellent flavor and easy.