Cider, cognac and pistachios provide new flavor to a classic. Cut into squares and place in a plastic sandwich bag, then bundle in tissue paper and slip into a reusable fabric sandwich bag tied with a ribbon. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Featured In: Homemade Food Gift Packaging Ideas
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 3/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- In a large saucepan, combine the dates, apple cider, Cognac and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and remaining salt. Add butter; mix well. Press 1-1/3 cups into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Add pistachios to remaining oat mixture; set aside.
- Spread date mixture over crust; top with reserved pistachio mixture. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Cognac Date Squares in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p63
Reviews for Cognac Date Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2011
"This recipe was submitted by Lisa Speer, Palm Beach Florida, and was published in the Dec 2011/ Jan 2012 edition of Taste of Home Magazine"