Cognac Date Squares Recipe
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 3/4 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the dates, apple cider, Cognac and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and remaining salt. Add butter; mix well. Press 1-1/3 cups into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Add pistachios to remaining oat mixture; set aside.
- 3. Spread date mixture over crust; top with reserved pistachio mixture. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 servings.
1 square: 301 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Cognac Date Squares
"This recipe was submitted by Lisa Speer, Palm Beach Florida, and was published in the Dec 2011/ Jan 2012 edition of Taste of Home Magazine"