- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, coffee granules and salt until light and fluffy; gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with baking chips and remaining shortening. Drizzle over cookies; refrigerate until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Coffee Shortbread
"I made these for the first time as part of my Christmas cookie baking. I found them incredibly easy to make. The dough rolled out well and I was able to cut each cookie out with no problem. I drizzled the melted chocolate/white chocolate using a spoon and it worked very well and the end result was pretty. NOTE: the dough is not sweet, so the chocolate drizzle is a must! I found rolling the dough to 1/4 too thin. Shortbread cookies should be on the thicker side. Next time I may try adding a little cinnamon to the dough for an added flavor."
"4 star. These are addictive, especially if you like coffee flavor. I decided just to frost them with chocolate icing."
"I made these for my card group today and they were hit, a lot of requests for the recipe, definitely will make these again"
"I really liked this recipe for many reasons--the dough was very easy to make, it rolled and cut beautifully without prior chilling, and they tasted delicious. I let the icing firm up completely before placing them in a freezer container and freezing them for an upcoming meeting where I want to serve an assortment of cookies. I, of course, had to taste one and once I did I knew I would be making these cookies often!"
"Excellent cookie !! It's definitely a keeper for my Christmas baking!!"