Coffee Nut Torte Recipe
Every year at Bible school when I was growing up, we enjoyed this dessert as an extra-special treat. I still serve it to appreciative guests.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat until light. Sift together flour and baking powder; add cracker crumbs. Add alternately with coffee to creamed mixture, beating well until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Pour into two 8-in. round waxed paper-lined baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- 3. For filling, prepare pudding with milk and coffee; chill. Fold in cream. Split each cake layer and spread with filling. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 340 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 373 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC