Coffee Lover's Coffee Cake Recipe
I had this cake at a friend's brunch and she graciously shared the recipe. Now people always request it from me because it's so tasty and always a hit. -Gale Lalmond of Deering, New Hampshire
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, coffee granules and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with yogurt, beating just until combined.
- 2. Spread half of the batter evenly into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with half of the reserved sugar mixture. Repeat layers; cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Sprinkle with nuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 219 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC