Coffee-Flavored Beef Roast Recipe
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 beef sirloin tip roasts (2 to 3 pounds each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cups whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Place potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in the drippings for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the coffee, chili powder and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings (2 cups gravy).
6 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetables and 1/4 cup gravy equals 405 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 145 mg cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 49 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.